- Senior Partner
N. Alan Miller III began his legal career as a law clerk at a Lawrenceburg law firm in 2003. After his admission to the Indiana bar, he began his legal practice in 2005 as an associate attorney with the same firm, where he was made a partner in 2007. In 2013, Alan left this firm to start Miller Law LLC.
Alan has represented individuals charged with criminal offenses throughout southeastern Indiana in cases ranging from minor traffic infractions to major felonies. He has acted as lead defense counsel in a number of jury trials. He continues to represent indigent defendants as a public defender. In July 2010, Alan became certified in administering the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Standardized Field Sobriety Tests. These are the same tests administered by law enforcement officers during OWI investigations. In September 2014, Alan proudly graduated from the Indiana Public Defender Council's Trial Practice Institute, a four-day seminar focusing on developing and refining trial advocacy strategies and skills.
Alan also represents bankruptcy debtors who are seeking relief under Chapters 7 or 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. He has developed a reputation as a compassionate and empathetic attorney who listens and advises his clients in a non-judgmental way.
In April 2016, Alan was appointed Legal Counsel for the City of Aurora, Indiana, by Mayor Donnie Hastings. In September 2016, Alan's sister, Adrienne Flannery, joined the practice and Miller Law became Miller Flannery Law.
A life-long resident of Dearborn County, the Millers can trace their family roots in Dearborn County to before the Civil War. Alan is active in the community and resides in Aurora with his wife, Kyle (Thayer), and their daughter, Ryan. He loves the Reds, IU sports, and running in local races with his wife.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law 50%
- Criminal Defense 25%
- Municipal Law 25%
- Indiana, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2005
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- Juris Doctor - 2005
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 2002
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dearborn-Ohio County Bar Association, President, 2012 to 2013
- Indiana Public Defender Council, Member, 2005 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Zerbe Garner Miller & Blondell, Partner, 2007 to 2013
- Legal Volunteers of Southeast Indiana, Co-Plan Administrator, 2017
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Attorney for Legal Volunteers of Southeast Indiana, Inc., 2005 to Present